The Benefits of Magento Commerce Cloud
Why You Should Consider Building Your Ecommerce Website on Magento’s Cloud
The Differences Between Magento’s Products
Magento offers three products: Magento Open Source (once called Magento Community), Magento Commerce (once known as Magento Enterprise), and Magento Commerce Cloud. Magento Open Source is free and Magento Commerce merchants purchase on an annual license bases. It’s a big price leap, but the differences between the two versions are significant.
Although Magento Open Source is a powerful platform, it lacks several key features, hosting infrastructure, and direct Magento support - additions which make Magento Commerce Cloud one of the most exciting ecommerce platforms on the market.
When Should You Choose Magento Commerce Cloud?
For mid-sized merchants, Magento's license will be easy to justify. What you get with Magento Commerce Cloud is easily worth the price. Magento Commerce Cloud includes advanced hosting services, support, and an enormous administrative suite - aspects that would require additional service agencies or development to coordinate. It’s secure and constantly up to date while still retaining the flexibility of an open source platform.
Magento Commerce Cloud is Magento’s most innovative offering, and offers the full suite of Magento features. It’s where active development and most new features are released first, and many features (such as B2B, Multi-origin Shipping, Page builder, and others) are only released for the Cloud edition.
Managed Services + Speed
Large, custom websites built on cloud platforms (known as PaaS - Platform as a Service), like Magento Commerce Cloud, are a popular option for many enterprise businesses. PaaS combines the flexibility and scalability of an enterprise-level ecommerce platform with the kind of support offered in the past by smaller SaaS (Software as a Service) platforms.
Magento keeps its platforms up to date by constantly releasing patches for security and functionality improvements. They support and provide managed services for the full hosting stack. All AWS (Amazon Web Services), high availability hosting, traffic management, auto-scaling, Fastly CDN, and other services are all managed by Magento's in-house web operations team.
As new releases of Magento come out (typically quarterly), your development team will be able to pull those and upgrade your Magento core system.
Fastly, the CDN service is built-in with Magento Cloud, and is one of the keys to speed. We have not seen anyone running Magento stores faster than Magento can in its tuned cloud environments.
Hosted on the Cloud
Magento Commerce Cloud is hosted on AWS and managed by Magento’s Web Operations Team. Not only does this solve the question of finding a reliable hosting provider, but it also means that your website will be hosted by a dedicated team of people who can make sure your website is running at peak performance.
Magento knows their own offering very well, and is consciously aware of the massive traffic spikes that can specifically affect eCommerce websites.
An Enormous Administrative Suite
Any of Magento’s products provide a large administrative suite that allows you to easily manage complicated tasks. But Magento Commerce Cloud offers features that are incredibly valuable to sophisticated eCommerce strategies. Here are just a few:
- Multi-Origin Shipping - You can configure complex shipping and delivery details within your Magento website, including multi-origin shipping.
- B2B Suite - Magento allows you to create customer accounts, create unique pricing catalogues, and implement data insights for B2B sales.
- Page Builder - Magento is built to support content and commerce strategies, that allow administrators to build out unique pages around their products.
- ElasticSearch - Customize search throughout your website, creating categories for results. This is extremely useful for customers attempting to navigate massive inventories.
- Segmentation - for anonymous users and authenticated users. You can segment users based on browsing history and cart contents to offer unique pricing, sales, cross-sells and up-sells.
- Instant Purchase - Magento can remember your customer’s shipping and payment information in order to speed up the checkout process.
- Custom Pricing - Magento Commerce Cloud is especially useful for B2B, and can be used to offer quotes and custom catalogues to customers. Additionally, customers can create accounts within Magento in order to speed up their ordering process.
Why We Recommend Magento Commerce Cloud
When you do the math and consider the cost of robust hosting, key features, and support, and compare that to the cost of trying to do those three with your own internal webops team, at the same level of performance, the Magento Cloud is an incredible bargain. In fact, for many of our clients, it’s been less expensive than their current hosting costs alone.
With Magento Commerce Cloud, you have all the benefits of Magento Commerce in addition to full-time support from the Magento staff. You have a team managing your hosting, ensuring your uptime and security. Pair that with Bear Group’s development team and Run State support program and you’ve got a turnkey solution for ecommerce growth.